Sunday, February 6, 2011

Review: A Period Piece on the "MyDays" App


I don't usually rave about apps, but this one is so well made and so useful that I really wanted to share it with every female Android phone user!

A few months ago, I acquired a new phone, in accordance with my T-Mobile contract.  Usually the thrill of a new phone is enough to keep me glowing for a few weeks.  I've had my Android phone for nearly four months now, and I am still finding thing that excite me all over again.  One of those exciting things is an application that I downloaded early on in my "cell phone honeymoon" days.  The application is called "MyDays," a female cycle calendar.  I'm not usually one for profligate downloading of freebies, but download it I did, and it was so useful that even the trial version has earned itself a coveted spot on my home screen.

MyDays is more than just a mere calendar; it can actually track and predict a woman's menstrual cycle and ovulation dates, as well as inform the user of her most fertile times.  The user can even notate and label days that correspond with specific conception (or contraception) practices, such as taking the pill, engaging in sex, or taking her basal metabolic temperature (BMT).  There are also functions that allow note-taking, which I've found invaluable for keeping track of my gynecological visits as well as any special circumstances, such as breakthrough bleeding or excessively bad PMS symptoms.  The one function that I haven't yet used is the "Chat & Talk" selection, which will enable you to get into touch with support, as well as chat with the other MyDays users to discuss whatever's on your mind. 

As a woman with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS/PCOD) and metabolic syndrome, my lady business often comes late, which is not very ladylike at all.  I've often been mystified at how surprised medical personnel have been upon asking me about "what day in [my] cycle" I was currently experiencing.  Having had irregular periods for the last 22 years, I had never realized that most women can answer such a question right off the bat -- for me, the best answers I've ever been able to muster have been "bleeding" or "not bleeding;" answers which, somehow, don't tend to impress those in the medical profession.  I've always wondered... How do other women just seem to KNOW this stuff?  I'd always felt a little weird and out of sync with the rest of womankind; considering how erratic my cycle has been, I suppose I have been out of sync in more ways than one.  However, thanks to MyDays, I was able to go to my new gynecologist (on January 26th, according to my "notes!"), whip out the ol' cellie, and promptly inform Dr. Julio that my last period started on December 15th and ended on December 21st, yet I had experienced three instances of spotting in January.  Having these answers at my fingertips not only gave me more confidence upon answering medical questions, but also empowered me.  I felt as though I was really doing something good for myself by taking my reproductive health seriously.

This application gets a glowing A+ recommendation from me.  I would recommend the MyDays app to anyone who with an Android phone and a uterus!  It would probably also come in handy for my husband, so he knows when to stock up on chocolate and ibuprofen, but that's a whole 'nother blog entry.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...