Saturday, February 19, 2011

Things We Love: Febreze ScentStories!

I have to admit that I'm completely obsessed with Febreze Scentstories. For those of you who don't know, or have never tried it, this machine is a brilliant way to dispense lovely scents in your home without using candles, sprays, or other items.

I've always been into aromatherapy -- candles and incense are huge addictions of mine. When I first started seeing commercials for the Scentstories machine in 2004, I thought it seemed interesting at best. The concept seems simple enough: Just insert the scent discs into the machine and press Play; every 20 minutes, the disc will change to a new fragrance. I've tried all of the Scentstories discs, and have bought all of them at least twice -- with the exception of the limited-edition "Breezes on a Clothesline" variety; this rare disc only comes with a special-edition Christmas Scentstories machine. But yes, I bought a new machine JUST to try it. It wasn't bad, just a little bit fabric softener-y. (Would I buy another machine to try it again? Sheepishly I admit, that yes, I would... if I happened to need a new machine!)

My first Scentstories machine, which was the very first incarnation of the product, lasted about a year before I needed to replace it. The mechanism worked just fine, but over time the motor began to struggle, and it was a VERY loud, annoying sound. I'd sit on the phone with a friend, and no sooner would I press "PLAY" than my conversation partner would ask, "Exactly WHAT are you doing right now?" (Yeah, it was that loud!) Newer machines are much more lightweight than the older versions. The color scheme, which was dusty blues over dark greys (much more my taste), are now a lighter blue and pearly white. The cord is less unwieldy, the plug seems lighter, and the machines run much more quietly. My second one also lasted longer. (In fact, it's still quite functional; I thought it didn't play the discs as well, but I'm now wondering if perhaps I was overusing the discs.)

Since I had to buy a machine just to play the "limited edition" disc, I decided to replace my second Scentstories machine recently. My problem is, now I'm having trouble finding the discs! I used to find them at places like CVS and Target (... a certain privately-owned drugstore in NYC even yielded 5 "Celebrate the Holidays" discs), but over the past year or so... nothing. Absolutely no discs are anywhere to be found! If you love the vanilla discs or "Wandering Barefoot on the Shore," you can probably find them on eBay for somewhere around $10-$15 a pop (including shipping). If you're really lucking, you may run into my favorite discs: "Relaxing in a Hammock," "Strolling Through the Garden," or the original and completelyt wonderful "Exploring a Mountain Trail." And on a super-duper good day, you may even find the rares: a disc of tropical scents (not bad), a Shania Twain "springtime" disc (can't remember how that was), the holiday disc (my least favorite), or... maybe even that limited-edition yet highly-coveted "Breezes on a Clothesline." But you'll be probably be paying through the nose and up the ass for them. I've been worried for the fate of this awesome concept... I use my Scentstories machine every night, enjoying the comforting whir and light scent of whatever's playing. Even though my discs have worn thin, I've got a small stash of new ones that I'm saving for a rainy day. So the idea that Scentstories is on the way out, well, that's been worrying me.

A search for Scentstories products on Google was most helpful, though: It appears as though the Yankee Candle Company has leased the Scentstories technology and is producing discs for the machines again -- with Yankee Candle scents -- and now there's more to choose from than ever!! I am unfamiliar with Yankee Candle scents, but with disc themes like "Autumn Celebration," Fresh Breeze," "Merry Christmas," and "Farmer's Market," I'm sure that even the most die-hard Scentstories fans will find something good to enjoy. The prices are a little higher -- Yankee charges $7.50 per disc, as opposed to ScentStories $5-$6 a pop. But since the original discs are going sky-high on eBay now, and that's pretty much the only place you can find 'em, the Yankee discs are looking better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...