Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Sweet Smell of... Failure

Here's a DIY idea that I am unlikely to repeat: making my own body spray.  Actually, I probably will try to make it again, but I'll remember the lessons I've learned from this batch.

My ingredients were simple: some denatured alcohol (rubbing alcohol from my local CVS) and the remaining bit of my half-ounce "Blue Nile" body oil... I'd say about a quarter- to a third- ounce was still left.  My container was a clean 2-ounce spray bottle which used to be a rose-scented body mist.  (The bottle was from Hot Topic and had an Amy Brown fairy on it, which was cute -- but boy, that body spray was nast-ay!)  You could try this on your own with any clean spray bottle, if you don't mind getting the kind of result that I did!

The "process" -- and I use the term loosely -- was simple: pour the Blue Nile into the empty 2-ounce bottle, then fill the rest of the way with alcohol and shake well.  I was pretty amazed at how nicely the two combined.  If any of you used to make "potions" as a kid, or used way too much of your mother's perfume & tried adding water to conceal the evidence of your pilfering -- well, you'll know how easy it is to make the mixture cloudy, gross, and generally unappealing.  I have learned a lot about perfumery since then, but nevertheless it excites me to see how beautifully the alcohol and oil can blend.

While the bottle was aesthetically pleasing, in no small part due to the pretty coloring of the Blue Nile perfume oil, the smell was... ehhhhh.  I would spray it on in the morning, but it would take some time for the alcohol to dissipate and the Blue Nile to become the predominant scent.  Someone hugged me an hour after I spritzed myself and declared, "You smell like booze!"  Well, that pretty much ended my perfume-making hobby before it began. :)

I would up diluting my leftover Blue Nile body mist with some water (and yeah, it became the awesome cloudy mix we all know and love) and used as linen water to scent my hand-washables during the rinse phase.  It worked quite well, and I was glad to find an alternate use for it.

Now I have two-thirds of a bottle of rubbing alcohol that I need to think up uses for.  Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...