Saturday, April 7, 2012

Review: Kline Honey Bee Farm

Since spring came into bloom a few weeks ago, I had been having a pretty strong craving for something that I almost never have the opportunity to enjoy: raw honeycomb.  I love everything about it... the gem-like color and smooth consistency, the pretty hexagon shapes of the wax, the slow and sensual flow of the honey.  I also love that when I crave something sweet, a little bit of honey can scratch the itch long before the craving has me reaching for something less healthy.

The first time I ordered some honeycomb online was probably 2007 or so (from a company I don't even remember) and all I can really remember is how expensive the shipping costs were as most of them were sending them in heavy glass jars; so it was with trepidation that I checked the prices of eBay's honey farmers, and with annoyance that I noticed very little had changed -- the thought of having a bit of raw honeycomb seemed wonderful, but at $16 a pop plus another $8 for shipping seemed like just too much.

I decided to try Etsy; people sold honey-based beauty products and beeswax there, after all.  It was there that I discovered the Kline's Honey Bee Farm store on Etsy.  Kline's offerings were quite impressive -- honeycomb, pure standard honey of many types by the ounce or the gallon, even creamed honey and individual-serving-size honey sticks!  There were also blocks of pure beeswax and beeswax candles, honey soap and beeswax lotion.  It was clear to that these folks do honey, and they do it well, so after checking a few more places for price comparison and seeing that Kline's had them all beaten -- I placed my honeycomb order.


Less than a week later, I had a lovely package of honey in my mailbox!  It came through the mail just fine.  The honeycomb was in perfect condition.  Unlike some places where I've seen honey surrounding a tiny piece of honeycomb, this was a big generous slice of comb with all the little honey pockets perfectly intact.  It looked and smelled delightfully fresh, as if someone had gathered and packed it just for me. Beautiful!

My package even included a little sample of honey soap which smells a lot like Lush's "Honey, I Washed the Kids."  I was thrilled with every aspect of this purchase.  The honeycomb was a lovely and impressive addition to the dinner party I had.  I saved my beeswax, and there's enough to make a massage bar (or maybe two!).

Since I've been watching my carbs, I think my next purchase will be a batch of honey sticks.  They're portion-controlled and portable, so it seems like a great idea for the next time my sweet tooth hits me.  They even have honey in wacky flavors like root beer and pina colada!  I'll let you know how it goes!

P.S.  I borrowed this picture from Kline's store on Etsy.  Hope that's OK!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...